EHR Use Increases Clinical Insight
There is a national urgency in the matter of using the electronic health record (EHR) optimally for timely patient data, improved clinical insight, and an overall improvement in the delivery of care. In order to make accurate and seamless health information exchange a reality, Masspro is engaging primary care providers to assist in inculcating best-practices that maximize the use of the EHR to increase their capacity to deliver preventive services such as mammogram screenings, colorectal screenings, and influenza and pneumonia vaccinations.
Improved use of the EHR also helps practices ensure timely and accurate reporting of clinical quality measures into incentive programs such as Meaningful Use or Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS).
Masspro’s quality improvement team can help practices in the following areas:
- Workflow analysis for improved data entry with the goal of accurate and timely patient information.
- Tracking of preventive care and immunization services delivered.
- Facilitation of timely clinical reminders at the point of care.
- Identification of patients not receiving tests and immunizations.
- Measurement of improvements in clinical performance and population health.
- Improved reporting of clinical quality measures
Masspro is partnering with Massachusetts e-Health Institute (MeHI), the Regional Extension Center for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, to create the Massachusetts EHR Learning and Action Network. Focused on clinical quality measures reporting and performance improvement, this collaborative is part of a national initiative coordinated by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and local QIOs.
The Massachusetts EHR Learning and Action Network is an opportunity specifically focused on providers enrolled in the Regional Extension Center, and will provide participants with tools that assist in their efforts to earn both EHR and Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS) incentives and, most importantly, fully utilize EHRs.
The collaborative will organize a series of educational programs which will introduce, discuss and support clinical quality improvement measures and processes, and encourage and assist EHR users to utilize the full capabilities of the EHR system to improve patient care. Participants will be specifically assisted with:
- Using the registry and care management functions of their EHR
- Interpreting EHR data and reporting to identify and address disparities in care
- Educational programming, best practices, and intervention tools to improve use of preventive services and cardiac health, including approaches to promote engagement of the patient and family to improve patient health and self-management
- Identifying and sharing best practices and success stories related to the effective use of HIT / Meaningful Use / HIE to improve use of preventive services and cardiac population health
- Sharing effective strategies for patient self-management
- Using resources provided through the LAN
- Demonstrating Meaningful Use to participate in the CMS EHR Incentive Program